Cheddar and Tomato Quiche is a great staple recipe idea for a lunch box or for popping in a picnic hamper and heading off down to the river for an in-promptu picnic.
The recipe may look as if it requires loads of baking time, but that’s because the pastry base is baked blind first, then the filling is added, then finally the sliced tomatoes are added before it is baked for its final session in the oven.
- 225 g (8 oz) ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 175 g (6 oz) mature Cheddar, grated
- 5 large British Lion eggs
- 500 g tub crème fraîche
- 4 tablespoons freshly snipped chives
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced lengthways
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F. Use the pastry to line a 20 cm (8-inch) fluted deep flan tin. Trim the edges, line the base with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes, removing the beans for the final 5 minutes.
- Spread the pesto sauce over the base and scatter over a third of the Cheddar. Beat the eggs, crème fraîche, chives and seasoning together, and stir in the remaining cheese. Pour into the pastry case and bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is beginning to set.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the quiche, overlapping them slightly. Brush with the oil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
For lots more lunch box recipe ideas and picnic ideas, do check out our Recipes section.
We love all your comments! Thanks for reading!
The Lunchbox Lady x