Easter Egg Chocolate Muffins
I do love a bit of chocolate and I know, for kids, I try and keep this kind of cake idea for a treat. But I feel it’s a kind of special chocolate treat day today, so here’s a delicious recipe for making chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with mini eggs decorations, bringing Easter into that lunch box!
- 275g/10oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 50g/2oz cocoa powder
- 10ml/2tsp baking powder
- 100g/4oz butter, melted
- 300ml/1/2pt milk
- 2 large Lion eggs, beaten
- 5ml/1tsp vanilla essence
- For the icing:
- 225g/8oz icing sugar, sifted
- 100g/4oz butter, softened
- 30ml/2tbsp cocoa powder
- 30ml/2tbsp hot water
- Easter Eggs to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 200OC/400OF/Gas 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- To make the muffins, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix the butter, milk, eggs and vanilla
- together and stir into the flour mixture. Beat until the mixture is just smooth - do not overbeat
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack
- To decorate, beat the icing sugar and butter together. Blend the cocoa and water to a smooth paste and beat into the butter mix.
- spread over the top of the muffins and decorate with Easter eggs
Now don’t forget, if you love the recipe, let us know. We love to hear your feedback. And remember this recipe doesn’t have to be just for Easter, you could make it all year round, and just substitute the embellishments, the decorations on the top to change the theme! Simple!
For more baking inspiration, do check out our Recipe section