We don’t often suggest any drinks ideas for your lunch box, but today is lunch box idea 28 and it’s to make Strawberry Fizz Drink. This pink fizz did catch our eye. It’s just perfect for a picnic, outside party or family gathering. If you’ve a glut of strawberries, you can even whizz up a jug full anytime. And right now, you can still make a batch in time for tonight’s Diamond Jubilee Concert.
This particular recipe for Strawberry Fizz Cocktail uses a cordial made from fresh fruit and it really is easy to make. Simply pop the fruit in a pan and simmer with sugar and water until the fruit has flavoured the syrup. Strain and bottle, then pour a little into a glass and top up with water and ice, or try the serving suggestion, below.
For the strawberry syrup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 400g strawberries
- 100g granulated sugar
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Extra strawberries,
- slices of lemon,
- SuperValu soda water and SuperValu lemonade
1. Roughly chop the strawberries and put in a pan with the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml water. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the strawberries to break down, mashing with a spoon to help them on their way.
3. Strain the strawberry mixture through a sieve resting over a bowl, stirring well with a wooden spoon to extract all the juice.
4. Pour into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
5. To enjoy, pour 6 tbsp syrup into a large jug. Add chopped strawberries, lemon slices, mint and ice, then top up with SuperValu soda water or lemonade. Taste for strength – you may need to add a splash more syrup or water – then pour among eight glasses.
Nutritional info: Per serving: 25cals / 0g fat / 0g sat fat / 6g carbs / 6g sugar / trace salt
So we’ve told you what we’ll be drinking tonight, this delicious pink fizz with the kiddlies. But what will you be drinking?
Top Tip: this drink is perfect as a treat in the lunch box. We sometimes pop it in one of these bottles on a Friday as a treat on “Fun Friday”. Something you can look forward to at lunchtime, and as a way to mark the end of the week!
The Lunch Box Lady x