These Mini Easter Cakes are another easy addition to a lunch box. They are lemon flavoured cupcakes and can be decorated to reflect each of the changing seasons. A great go to recipe for cupcakes. Now if your brood really don’t like lemon flavoured cakes, you could substitute out the lemon juice and zest of lemon and replace with a few drops of vanilla essence.
- 100g/4oz butter, softened
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 large Lion quality eggs, beaten
- 100g/4oz self raising flour
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100g/4oz icing sugar, sifted
- food colouring, icing flowers and
- coloured crystal sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Line a 12-hole patty tin with foil or paper cake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, using an electric whisk if liked. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time. Fold in the flour, lemon zest and milk until you have a soft mixture.
- Divide the sponge mixture between the cake cases. Bake for 20- 25mins or until pale golden and the centres bounce back when lightly touched in the centre. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Stir 2 tbsp of lemon juice into the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the icing on top of the cakes then decorate with flowers and crystal sugar as desired.
For more sweet treats, do check out our Recipe Section.