Below are just some of the key pointers to remember when packing a healthy lunchbox every day:
Healthy Packed Lunches
A healthy packed lunch should contain:
- At least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables
- Meat, fish or other source of non-dairy protein (eg chickpeas, hummus, or peanut butter)
- Oily fish, such as salmon, at least once every three weeks
- A starchy food such as bread, pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, or potatoes
- Dairy food (eg milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard)
- Water, fruit juice, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, smoothies
- Snacks such as crisps
- Chocolate-coated biscuits, sweets. Cakes and biscuits are allowed but encourage your child to eat these only as part of a balanced meal, more as a treat
- Meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausages should be included only occasionally
I hope this is useful. Check our nutrition section for more handy articles on the subject of healthy lunch boxes. If you have some items you would suggest, do please comment below or let us know on social media @lunchboxworld.
We love hearing from you!
The Lunchbox Lady x