Fruity Macadamia Snack Bars are a great snack in any lunch box. They are a great snack for giving that boost of well-needed energy, as they are rich in protein and fibre. So, for my brood (aged 17, nearly 15 and 13) when going out on night hikes and camp weekends with Explorers, these are just perfect to keep them fuelled and hiking on!
Fruity Macadamia Snack Bars
- 45 g sultanas
- 45 g dried apricots
- 90 g dried apples or pears
- 90 g dried figs
- 50 g macadamia nuts
- 50 g sunflower seeds
- 60 g wholemeal flour
- 60 g porridge oats
- 60 ml orange or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Place all the dried fruit in a blender. Roughly chop before stirring in the seeds, nuts, oats and flour. Add juice and honey and roughly blend.
- Place mixture in a greased shallow baking tray to cook at °C/375°F/Gas 5 until golden brown – about 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool and then slice into bars.
Lunchbox Tip: The GI can be lowered further by adding more juice and less honey
For a wheat free recipe, simply add 100g of oats and cut out the flour.
For more lunch box ideas, check out our Recipe section