With Easter just around the corner, I’ve been thinking Easter sandwiches and what quick, easy ideas I could come up with for making lunch boxes extra FUN for Easter! This Easter bunny sandwich can be made in just 5 minutes! Imagine dishing this up when little people’s friends come round for lunch! It would go down a treat at a kids’ party or just as a fun sandwich idea for tea one day. I’ll be trying it out on my little nephew and can’t wait to see his little face when he sees his lunch plate!
Easter Bunny Sandwich
Today it’s the turn of the Easter Bunny Sandwich.
Now you can custom make your own version and use whatever bits you have in your fridge… (and I really would love to see your bunny sandwich creations! Do share them with us on the Lunchbox World instagram feed, just use #lunchboxworld and we’ll be able to see all your creations, better still use #bunnysandwich too!)
You could try long ears, or floppy ears or you know those rabbits with tiny ears. The possibilities for a rabbit or cute bunny sandwich are endless. You could vary the colour of the bread, keep it an open sandwich, make your bunny wear clothes… Let your imagination run riot!
How to make your Easter Bunny Sandwich
There really aren’t many tools or gadgets you need to make this. You need, a sharp knife, and a love heart cutter, but if you really don’t have any items other than a knife, you could cut the bits out free-hand.
Ideally if you have the julienne grater, then fab. You will need this to make the whiskers, but again a sharp knife would do. I made this with just three cutters – a large love heart cutter, an egg shape and if you have one, a tiny round cutter. (The julienne grater is for making the whiskers). The love heart creates the body, the egg shape, the ears. It really can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes!
- 2 slices of bread - one brown or wholemeal, one white
- butter to spread on the bread
- slice of ham
- chunk of cucumber
- 1 carrot
- fresh chives
- sliced cheese - gouda or cheddar work really well x 2
- red grapes x 1 halved
- edible eyes x 2
- Lay out two pieces of bread on chopping board. With heart cutter, cut out two love heart shaped pieces of bread.
- With the egg cutter, cut out two bread ears for each bunny.
- That's your basic bunny shape: love heart and two egg shaped pieces. Love heart is upside down.
- Next slice the cucumber and use the cutter to create the ear shape. You will need two of these.
- Butter the cut love heart bread.
- Next the ham. Use the love heart cutter and cut out the love heart ham. Place the ham on top of the cut heart bread.
- Place the other cut heart bread on top.
- Place the ears next to the rabbit in position.
- Place the cucumber ears on top either side.
- With the sliced cheese, cut out two egg shaped pieces. If you don't have sliced cheese, cut a thin slice of cheddar. Use the egg shaped cutter to cut the two egg shaped pieces. Place on to the bottom of the love heart bread.
- Eyes go on next.
- Slice the grape in half round the middle, this is the nose. Pop this to one side.
- Use the julienne grater to grate up the carrot into whiskers. Add as many as you feel right. I used 3 placed on the diagonal criss crossing each other.
- Place the grape piece on top.
- Using off cuts of carrot, shape these into mini-carrots and using the chopped chives as the top of the carrot greens!
- And voila! Your Easter bunny sandwich is finished. With a fish slice, slide this onto the desired plate.
Check out all our other fun Easter recipe ideas!
More coming soon, so do sign up to the Lunchbox World newsletter or follow us on social media, so you don’t miss a fun lunch box idea post!
Let us know how you get on!
The Lunchbox Lady x