It’s National Vegetarian Week (16-22 May 2016), it’s the weekend and it’s time for a National Vegetarian Week lunch idea! The sun is shining, heavily scented blossom is in the air, and we have a bit more time on our hands to rustle up that something a little bit extra special.
If you love spicy food and are looking for a protein packed vegetarian option, then this lunch idea is for you. It’s Thai-style Tofu and Vegetable Curry, a combination of vegetables, tofu and spice giving you that extra kick, served up with rice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 100g of peas
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds (or chilli powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1¼ cups light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- Lime wedges and boiled brown rice, for serving
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok and add the onion, ginger, jalapeno and stir fry on a high heat for about 2 minutes. Add in the turmeric, then the mushrooms, broccoli and carrot, and stir fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peas, coconut milk, tofu, water and soy sauce to the wok, stir for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables are al dente. Finish by stirring in the chopped basil, then transfer into bowls and add the lime wedges to serve. Sprinkle with extra chilli, if you’re daring enough for an extra spicy kick! Serve with boiled brown rice or a wholemeal chapati.
For more tasty recipe ideas, do check out our recipe section. And if you’ve got some tasty suggestions, or alternatives to this recipe, do comment below, or share with us on social media. We love hearing from you.
Thanks for reading!
The Lunchbox Lady x
Recipe courtesy of DW Fitness Clubs