These Mini Easter Cakes are another easy addition to a lunch box. They are lemon flavoured cupcakes and can be decorated to reflect each of the changing seasons. A great go-to recipe for cupcakes. Now if your brood really don’t like lemon flavoured cakes, you could substitute out the lemon juice and zest of lemon and replace with a few drops of vanilla essence.
Mini Easter Cakes
- 100 g/4oz butter softened
- 100 g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 large Lion quality eggs beaten
- 100 g/4oz self raising flour
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100 g/4oz icing sugar sifted
- food colouring icing flowers and
- coloured crystal sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Line a 12-hole patty tin with foil or paper cake cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, using an electric whisk if liked. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time. Fold in the flour, lemon zest and milk until you have a soft mixture.
- Divide the sponge mixture between the cake cases. Bake for 20- 25mins or until pale golden and the centres bounce back when lightly touched in the centre. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Stir 2 tbsp of lemon juice into the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the icing on top of the cakes then decorate with flowers and crystal sugar as desired.
For more sweet treats like these mini Easter cakes, do check out our Recipe Section.