Here’s one of my favourite portable recipe ideas that’s perfect for your lunch box, or as a healthy snack when you are on-the-go. Edam Bacon Sun-dried Tomato Muffins are that special combo of flavours for me. A bit like a pizza all rolled into a muffin! Delicious served warm or cold at a family picnic, in a kid’s lunchbox or simply for brunch!
Edam Bacon and Sun-dried Tomato Muffins
- 100 g smoked back bacon rashers
- 275 g plain flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 5 ml caster sugar
- 5 ml salt
- 125 g Dutch Edam wedge grated
- 75 g sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 30 ml freshly snipped chives
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml semi- skimmed milk
- 75 g butter melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF, 190ºC, Gas mark 5. Line a muffin tin with10 paper muffin cases. Grill the bacon until crispy and chop into pieces. In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Stir the sugar, salt, three quarters of the cheese, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes and chives into the flour mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, the batter will be lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cases and sprinkle the tops with the reserved Edam. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and firm. Delicious eaten warm or cold.
Tip: Replace the bacon for some cooked diced ham. These muffins are best eaten the day they are prepared. Alternatively, you can store these savoury muffins in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge. In my house the muffins never hang around long enough! They are all gone within 24 hours!
For more recipes, do check out our Recipe section.