Lunch Box Tuna Bean Lettuce Salad is a quick, easy and nutritious salad recipe, that’s easily transported in a lunchbox for work or a picnic. It’s that combination of tuna, mayonnaise that we love. I am often found making up a batch of tuna mayonnaise with either capers or chopped up gherkins in it and popping it in a sandwich for Spike, my middle one. He is definitely the tuna fan!
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g/5oz fine green beans trimmed
- 50g/2oz Sweet Romaine lettuce, trimmed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 30ml/2 tbsp capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 (160g) can tuna in spring water, drained
- 30ml/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the eggs in a small pan, cover with water, then slowly bring to the boil. Simmer for 7 minutes, then drain. Run the eggs under cold running water, to cool. Tap the shells all over and peel away the egg shells. Cut the eggs into quarters. Cool.
- Blanch the beans in boiling water for 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain, rinse in cold water until cold, then drain again. Tear the lettuce into pieces then place in a plastic container. Top with pepper, capers, beans and eggs.
- Mash the tuna with the mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Heap the tuna on top of the salad. Chill until required.
- Lightly toss together before eating.
For more salad ideas or for lunch box inspiration, do check out our Recipes section.