Summer BBQ Aubergine Rolls with Red Pesto. This is a quick and easy vegetarian recipe option for when barbecuing. So don’t panic if you suddenly hear your teens have turned vegetarian or you have vegetarians coming round for lunch!
- 4 Aubergines
- Oil for griddling
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 red peppers
- 6 spears of asparagus
- 3 carrots, cut into strips
- 250g buffalo mozzarella
- Bunch of basil leaves
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 125g pecorino, grated
- 175ml virgin olive oil
- 12 sun blushed tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 50ml double cream
- Cut the top and bottom off the aubergines and slice lengthways about the width of a pound coin
- Season well and brush each side with olive oil. Let them sit for approx. 5 mins then griddle on a very hot barbecue griddle pan until charred on each side
- For the filling, simply blanch the vegetables in batches (eg peppers, then asparagus etc) and drain on kitchen paper
- For the pesto – in a food processor, blend the nuts, garlic, sun blushed tomatoes, then add the basil, cheese and oil. Check for any seasoning, then add the cream
- To serve – lay out the slices of aubergine, then place a little pile of the vegetables and mozzarella at the end of a slice and roll up. Secure with a cocktail stick, drizzle with a little more oil and just warm through on the barbecue
- Use two or three rolls per serving, squeeze over some lemon juice and top with the creamy red pesto. This can be cold or warmed gently in a pan.
This is a lovely summer time recipe for the BBQ.
For more lunch time inspiration, check out our Recipes section