Welcome back to Lunchbox World and today we ‘re sharing our rainbow sandwich idea as we carry on our rainbow lunchbox themed lunch ideas!
We are so grateful for all the workers on the frontline, whether it is in hospitals, care homes, those working in supermarkets, those delivering parcels, working at the post office, delivering our mail, the milkman, we appreciate you all. You are doing a sterling job in these unprecedented times so thank you thank you thank you!
Today’s recipe is a quick and easy to make sandwich on the rainbow theme: the rainbow sandwich!
I have this thing about colour I think. I love colour. I love all the bright things and this morning decided to get everything out on to the kitchen table to see the abundance of colour I actually have right now.
I mean, check this out…
Look at all the colours and textures! I mean wow!
So it got me thinking and as rainbows are so front of mind right now, I thought, you know what, let’s see if I can make a rainbow sandwich and then let’s see how easy it is to actually eat.
So I made it, photographed it and then I ate this at lunch and took the time to reflect about the hard work those on the frontline have been doing!
The rainbow sandwich recipe
We hope you enjoy this. This could be made with any bread you have at home, wraps, rolls, baps, brown bread, white bread, beer bread. Whatever!
Rainbow Sandwich idea
- 1 red tomato sliced
- 1/4 yellow pepper sliced
- 1 chunk of green cucumber sliced
- 1 radish sliced
- 2 lettuce leaves - we used Baby Gem finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated or peeled with the potato peeler
- 2 slices of bread
- cream cheese to hold the sandwich together
- spread a think layer of cream cheese on both pieces of bread
- slice up the radish and place slices on the bread
- place the sliced tomatoes on top of the sliced radish
- place the yellow pepper rings on top of the tomato
- place the sliced cucumber on top of the sliced tomato
- place the carrot slivers or ribbons on top of the sliced cucumber
- top with the chopped or shredded lettuce
- carefully place the bread on top
- assemble on a plate and carefully slice into 4 pieces - this can be on the diagonal to create triangles or straight into fours to create four squares.
- and eat!
- This could equally be made with mayonnaise and perhaps a slice of ham or chicken and if you are worried about the rainbow sandwich falling apart you could use cocktail sticks to hold this together! We wrapped this in a serviette to add extra colour and carefully ate!
And in case you missed it, here’s the link to the Eat the Rainbow salad ideas over on the Lunchbox World YouTube channel – there’s loads more lunch box ideas each week, so be sure to subscribe if you are looking for fresh lunch box inspiration:
How else can Lunchbox World help me?
If you haven’t signed up to the newsletter, and you like the ideas and what you find on Lunchbox World then click here to sign up, as we would hate you to miss a post. You can also find us over on instagram and all the socials, so do check us out and find us @lunchboxworld!
Thanks for reading and we’d love to hear from you!
The Lunchbox Lady x