Smoked Mackerel Apple Fennel Salad. I love this recipe as it reminds me of summer. It’s a light summery salad combining mackerel, apple and fennel in a yoghurt dressing. A delicious combination of flavours. Mmm.
Smoked Mackerel, Apple and Fennel Salad
- 1 bulb fennel trimmed
- 1 red apple quartered and cored
- 1/2 small red onion finely sliced
- 1 250g pack peppered smoked
- mackerel fillets skinned
- 1 120g bag baby leaves with
- For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp natural low fat yogurt
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- Thinly slice the fennel and apple and place in a bowl with 2 tbsp of the lemon juice from the dressing, toss until coated in juice.
- Mix in the red onion and mackerel.
- Divide the salad leaves between two plastic containers with lids, then heap the fennel and mackerel mixture in the centre of the leaves.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and spoon into a small container.
- Refrigerate the salad and dressing until ready to serve.
- To serve, drizzle the salad dressing over the salad and toss lightly to mix.
Tip: Adding lemon juice to the apple will help prevent it from turning brown, keeping it looking good until lunchtime.