Tuscan Style Bread Salad is a truly delicious salad that’ll make you believe you’re back on your summer holidays in the Mediterranean or, as the recipe suggests, back in Tuscany!
Tuscan Style Bread Salad
- 100 g ciabatta bread
- 90 ml olive oil
- 450 g ripe tomatoes
- 1 small yellow pepper deseeded
- 1 small orange pepper deseeded
- 1 small red onion finely shredded
- 150 g pitted black olives drained
- 45 ml white balsamic vinegar
- A handful of fresh basil leaves shredded
- 225 g Sweet Romaine lettuce trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Tear the bread into bite sized pieces and place in a roasting tin. Drizzle over half the oil and toss to coat the bread. Bake for 15-20mins or until the bread is golden and crunchy.
- Cut the tomatoes and peppers into bite sized chunks and place in a large bowl. Add the onion, olives, remaining oil, vinegar and basil.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper then toss together with the bread. Leave to stand for 5 mins to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Finally tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces, add to the bowl and toss until well mixed.
- Serve straight away
If you are planning on making this for a working lunch, ie taking your lunch into work, we would recommend that you take the salad in a separate container and the dressing in a separate pot, inside a cool bag, otherwise the salad leaves will go limp (which you don’t want). Just before lunchtime, grab the salad and dressing from the fridge or a chilled lunch bag, pour the dressing over the salad, toss the salad to coat the leaves, but be sure to do this just before serving.
For more salad ideas, do check out our Recipes section