Valentino Tart is perhaps one of my favourite favourite recipes for popping in a lunch box. Now if you’ve been following Lunchbox World, you may have noticed I do have that “thing” for hearts, love hearts. I love them! What’s not to love? So being Valentine’s and all, this is just the perfect recipe.
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 400 g can Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400 g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 225 g/8oz mozzarella sliced
- 4 slices salami
- 1 egg beaten
- fresh oregano ripped
- watercress for decoration
- First pre-heat the oven to Gas 6/400F/200C.
- Make the tomato sauce. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic over gentle heat until softened but not brown. Pour over Cirio Chopped Tomatoes and sugar. Bring to bubbling and reduce slightly. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cool.
- Place pastry on a work top and unroll flat. Cut out four heart shapes about 10cm/4in across. Discard extra pastry. Spread over the cooled tomato sauce, leaving a rim of 1cm/1/2 in. Top with mozzarella and finish with a slice of salami. Brush egg wash over the exposed edge of
- the pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 10 minutes, or until pastry is crisp, airy and golden. Serve warm scattered with ripped oregano leaves.
- Decorate with watercress.
I mean even if you make this for yourself and take into the office, it’ll put a smile on your face and that’s what counts! Now you can vary the toppings, depending on what you have in your cupboards and fridge. But that said, this is delicious as is.
For more lunch box inspiration and recipe ideas, do check out our Recipe section.