Mediterranean Tomato Soup. With the glut of tomatoes that are around late Summer / early Autumn, this recipe is a great way to bring the Mediterranean to your table in the form of a heart warming soup. This recipe is also ideal for those wanting something warm, and yet for a lunch-on-the-go. Simply decant the soup into either a wide neck flask or a thermos, pop in your lunch bag and you’re all set!
Mediterranean Tomato Soup
- 1 jar Seriously Good Tomato Black Olive & Mixed Herb sauce
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely sliced
- Small bunch of basil leaves picked and stalks chopped (and kept separate to the leaves)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 30 g capers rinsed and drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, add the sliced garlic, basil, sugar, salt and pepper, and half of the finely chopped onion. Sweat down until golden brown then add the cherry tomatoes and mix well until soft and an attractive glazed colour is achieved.
- In another large pan, heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the other half of the onion and basil stalks and fry for 4-5 minutes until the onion has softened. Pour the Seriously Good Tomato, Black Olive & Mixed Herb sauce into the pan, then fill the jar with water and add this to the pan.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the contents of both pans together. Blend the soup until smooth and season to taste.
- For an extra special finish heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, add the drained capers and fry for 2-3 minute until crisp. Scatter the capers over the soup along with a drizzle of olive oil just before serving.
These Seriously Good Sauces are for a Seriously Good cause.
This soup can be made in advance and chilled in the fridge overnight. Either decant cold and warm in the office microwave or warm the soup thoroughly, and then decant into a warmed thermos.
For more winter warmer recipes, do check out our Recipes section.