Fancy a savoury muffin but not sure how to make one or what combination of ingredients to put in them? Why not try this Pea Ham and Cheese Muffin recipe. It’s perfect as a quick and easy healthy lunchtime snack, but also great for picnics or for popping in the lunch box.
Pea Ham and Cheese Muffins
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp mixed herbs or 2 tsp fresh
- chives finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 100 g boursin cheese
- 200 ml full fat milk
- 100 g frozen peas
- 50 g cooked ham diced
- 75 g Cheddar cheese grated
- Butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin well with butter. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and blanch the frozen peas for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and dry mustard powder into a large mixing bowl, and add the salt, mixed herbs or chives and some freshly ground black pepper.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg with an electric whisk and add the boursin cheese, whisking until the cheese has broken up and combined smoothly with the egg.
- Whisk in the milk, and then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the peas and ham.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix lightly and quickly to combine. Spoon the mixture into the greased muffin tin and sprinkle the top of each muffin with grated cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm with butter, as a light lunch with a cheese omelette, or as a savoury snack in your lunch box.