I just love this time of year when Spring is just around the corner. The bulbs start to pop up in the garden, the days are getting lighter and longer, and we have that feeling of hope that Spring and then Summer is on its way. Today it’s the turn of a couscous salad: The Spring Salad Couscous Florida Grapefruit with Feta and Mint.
Couscous is a great store cupboard item, and great for rustling up a salad. You simply need to add boiling water with a stock cube in it, add some extra salad ingredients, add a dressing, gently mix it all up and it’s ready.
I often have couscous mixed with tomato, cucumber, feta and french dressing, but today it’s nice to go for a total change. Today we are sharing the Spring Salad Couscous Florida Grapefruit Feta and Mint with you. I just love the combination of flavours here, particularly with couscous.
Spring Salad Couscous Florida Grapefruit Feta and Mint
- 400 g couscous
- 300 ml hot vegetable stock
- Bunch spring onions chopped
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded, diced
- 1 orange pepper deseeded, diced
- 2 Florida grapefruits
- Small handful mint leaves
- 300 g feta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the couscous in a shallow bowl and pour over the hot stock. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, until all the stock has been absorbed, and then fluff the couscous up with a fork. Stir in the spring onion and chopped peppers.
- Meanwhile, cut the skin and pith from the grapefruits. Hold them over the bowl containing the couscous and carefully remove the segments so that any juice can be stirred into the couscous. Carefully fold in the segments taking care not to break them up too much.
- Fold in the mint. Transfer to a pretty serving bowl or platter and crumble over the feta cheese. Add a good grinding of black pepper and serve immediately.
- If taking in a lunchbox, take an ice pack to keep chilled until lunchtime.
For more lunch box recipe ideas, do check out our Recipes section, and specifically salads, then click here.
Thanks for reading!
The Lunchbox Lady x